Snow Pea Salad with Pancetta and Pecorino
- 1 lb. snow peas
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz thickly sliced pancetta, cut into ¼ inch dice
- ½ small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp lemon oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup mint leaves, torn
- 2 oz shaved Pecorino Sardo cheese
- Cut snow peas diagonally into ¼ inch pieces
- Soak the snow peas in ice water for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Add the pancetta and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned and the fat has rendered, about 5 minutes. Spoon off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the snow peas and pat dry. In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil with the lemon juice and lemon oil and season with salt and pepper; toss well. Garnish with the remaining mint, shave the pecorino on top and serve.