California Nicoise Salad Recipe
- For the dressing:
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons champagne or white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup unrefined, cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces Southern Selects French Beans, trimmed
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 4-6 hard-boiled large eggs, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1-2 cans high-quality tuna, preferably packed in olive oil, drained and broken into pieces
- 1 large Southern Selects avocado, cubed
- ½ cup olives, preferably Niçoise
- ¾ pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Bibb lettuce leaves to line platter, if desired, or shredded as a bed for the lettuce
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a medium bowl or shake in a screw-top jar.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water for the green beans. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add kosher salt. Add the beans and set a timer for 3 minutes. After beans have cooked for 3 minutes, test for tenderness. They should be crisp-tender, but not taste raw. Drain and immediately submerge in the ice water bath. Drain after 5 minutes or so and pat dry. Can be done the day before and refrigerated.
- Assemble the salad by arranging ingredients in separate groups. I like to line the platter with lettuce either just under the tuna or the entire platter. Drizzle dressing over top of dish.
Original recipe from: Pamela Salzman