Berry Special Homemade Holiday Gifts
There is nothing more special than a homemade gift for the holidays! And who can say no to something made with love that satisfies the tummy? We have come up with a collection of treats that are simple yet utterly delicious. Our fresh and festive Southern Selects berries are the ultimate ingredient for these winning gift ideas! Personalize them with a touch of ribbon, hand-written note, and recipe copy. You may even make a handful of these items and craft a berry unforgettable gift basket.
1. Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam from Oh She Glows
Use 3 clamshells of Southern Selects blueberries, and only 3 more ingredients for this simply delectable spread:
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste (or other liquid sweetener)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Bring the blueberries and maple syrup to a low boil, on medium-high heat. Stirring frequently, reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Using a fork or potato masher, lightly mash the berries to keep some texture. Stir in chia seeds until thoroughly combined and cook until mixture thickens to your desired consistency (~15 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Store jam in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to one week.
2. Raspberry Lemon Vinaigrette from The Fit Housewife
Use 2 clamshells of Southern Selects raspberries, and a few other ingredients lying around the house:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
Blend all ingredients together in a blender on medium-low speed and store in an airtight jar for up to 5 days!
3. Berry Swirl Frozen Yogurt Bark from Celebrating Sweets
Use 1 cup of Southern Selects blueberries and raspberries, along with the following ingredients for this secretly healthy treat:
- 1/4 cup berry jam
- 1 ½ cups plain 2% Greek yogurt
Line a baking sheet (use one that fits in your freezer) with parchment paper or a silicone liner. Spread yogurt onto sheet (1/2 inch thick, doesn’t need to fill entire pan). Dollop small spoonfuls of jam all over and sprinkle with berries. Cover with plastic wrap, freeze until firm, and break it into pieces for indulging!
P.S. This can be made with dairy-free yogurt too!
4. Blueberry & Lemon Fudge from Trinity’s Kitchen
Use 1 clamshell of Southern Selects blueberries for this pretty in purple soft fudge! Only three more ingredients and you’ve got yourself a winner:
- 1 3/4 cups creamed coconut or coconut butter
- 1 heaped teaspoon of fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
Melt the creamed coconut on the stove-top (place in glass bowl and then in pan with water on low heat). Once melted, add rest of ingredients and blend (with hand blender or small food processor). Line a loaf tin with parchment paper, add mixture and freeze for 20-30 min. Slice into squares or triangles and enjoy!
5. Toasted Coconut & Berry (Grain-Free) Granola from Cotter Crunch
Use 2 clamshells of Southern Selects berries (any type), dried (see how here), and additional ingredients:
- 1 cup mixed nuts, and another of raw almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, and another of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, and another of cinnamon
- 2/3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger, and a dash of sea salt
- 2-3 tablespoons chia seeds (optional) *adds extra nutrients, like protein*
Preheat oven to 325 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix nuts and pumpkin seeds together. In another bowl, combine coconut oil, extract, and maple syrup. Pour over the nuts/seeds mixture, add spices and mix until evenly coated. Spread onto baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 15 min, flip over mixture, and place back in oven for 15 minutes. Add coconut strips and bake for another 5-8 minutes or until coconut is toasted. After it’s cooled, add in your dried berries and toss all together. Store in tight-sealed jars and decorate for gifting!
6. Blackberry Cheesecake Brownies from Broma Bakery
Use 1 clamshell of Southern Selects blackberries and the following ingredients:
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 oz fresh or frozen blackberries
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
Heat up blackberry puree ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes. Use a whisk or spoon to help break down the blackberries. Once cooked, strain the mixture and collect all of the liquid and dispose of the solids. Let cool to room temperature. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8″x8″ baking dish with parchment paper and set aside. Combine melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt. Fold in cocoa powder and flour. Pour batter into the baking dish and spreading evenly. Combine all cheesecake ingredients and cream for 2-3 minutes on medium-high speed. Pour over brownie batter, spreading evenly to the edges. Drizzle the blackberry puree on top of the cheesecake batter and swirl (using a fork, knife, or toothpick) into the cheesecake batter. Bake for 1 hour, or until the cheesecake begins to turn golden and a knife inserted in the center of the brownies comes out mostly clean. Cool in fridge for at least 2 hours – overnight. Cut into squares and store for up to 5 days…perfect to make right before handing out your gifts!