The middle aisles of grocery stores may be appealing destinations for buying your typical sweet and salty snacks, but consider perusing the produce section for delicious, healthful snacks. You may be thinking “Yes, I bring a banana, apple, or orange to work for a snack and for the kids’ lunch.” Well, so do we but who doesn’t like variety? Here are a few simple, affordable ways to snack and feel good about it. Surprise your taste buds and blow your mind all at the same time! Enjoy these recipes we have found for creative, healthy snacking using Southern Selects fruits and vegetables:
1. Baked Sugar Snap Pea Chips from Cotter Crunch
Grab a bag of Southern Selects sugar snap peas and the following ingredients:
- Sea salt
- Onion or garlic powder
- Nutritional yeast
Season the sugar snaps, place in toaster oven or regular oven at 170 deg F (leave door cracked open 1 inch) and bake 4 hours
Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container for a snack later!
P.S. These are gluten free!
2. Rainbow Sticks & Dip from Kale and Chocolate
Use 2 bags of Southern Selects baby rainbow carrots for this cute snack to go! Fill the bottom of a mason jar with your favorite store-bought hummus or quickly make your own
- Slice carrots into quarters for easier snacking
- Place sticks in hummus, and feel free to add any other vegetable to mix things up!
- *Try Elise’s Roasted Carrot Hummus (shown in photo)
3. Baked Avocado Fries from Olivia’s Cuisine
- Select 3 ripe Southern Selects avocados, ½ lime & the following ingredients:
- 1 ½ c Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 c flour
- 1 tbsp chili powder *optional
- 2 eggs (unless avocado flesh is oily/sticky enough)
- Salt to taste
*Tip: for extra nutrients, add chia or flaxseed meal to the mix
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Squeeze lime juice onto avocado slices. Dip slices in flour then breading mixture
- Bake for 20 min, flipping once, and serve with fresh lime and favorite dipping sauce