February is American <3 Month!
Did you know that the human heart beats around 100,000 times a day and pumps 1.5 gallons per minute?
February is American Heart Month, so what better time to pump up awareness of our body’s engine, set heart healthy goals, and start anew?! January is often the month we start getting ourselves back on track, so let’s get serious this month. We have put together some delicious and fun ideas to help you become heart healthy and productive, for the rest of the year!
- Start by adding wholesome foods to your diet. There is an exhaustive list of heart healthy foods, which are generally categorized as plant based foods, but these are just a few:
- Red/purple colored fruits and veggies, such as berries, tomatoes and purple asparagus
- Leafy greens, such as watercress and arugula
- Legumes and fibrous long beans, such as pinto beans and French beans
- Healthy fats, such as avocados and nuts and seeds
- Make sure to move! Keeping our bodies in shape is key to maintaining a strong and healthy heart. Cardio exercises are specific for improving heart health. Aim for 20-30 minutes a day! Some of these exercises include:
- Jumping jacks/ jump rope
- Manage your stress by incorporating simple techniques throughout your day: